Saturday, April 14, 2007

Zoom, zoom

Well, I’m back on the information highway.

I may not be driving a 300 kph Lamborghini (I wish!) but I am in the driver’s seat of a pretty quick Beemer that's giving me about a 30-fold performance improvement. I can now appreciate what it must be like for an Old World Mennonite to finally trade in old dobbin for four wheels and an internal combustion engine.

But there is a downside (isn’t there always?). Now instead of waiting and waiting and waiting for downloads, I’m logging in to every speed test site I can find to convince myself that I'm actually getting the advertised download speeds, and the cost of all the satellite gear and installation was worth it. So although I’m spending just as much time on-line as before, I have yet to see any productivity increase.

I can envision my Mennonite friend doing the same, driving down the road with his eyes being constantly drawn to the speedometer – 30 kilometres an hour, 45 kilometres an hour, 40 kilometres an hour. I just hope he keeps an eye out for his brethren.