Saturday, September 8, 2007

What happened to the Liberals?

While I have a history of vacillation between voting Liberal or Conservative over the years, I expect that, in summary, I could best be defined as a Red Tory (or Blue Liberal?), choosing the party whose platform was most centrist in any election.

I will freely admit that there are some things Harper and co. have done in this parliament that appeal to me, but there are many, many more that do not, not least of which is the personal animosity I feel towards Messrs Harper and Flaherty (to name just two of the so-called honorable members of the Conservative caucus).

All of which is to say I was looking forward to a new and regenerated Liberal Party that I could support as being the party to take Canada boldly forward into the 21st century – or at least the next four years! But it just isn’t happening, and I simply could not put my finger on why that should be. Then I came across this
blog entry where the author has absolutely nailed it and expressed what is happening far more eloquently than I ever could. Definitely worth a read.

No comments: